Now Accepting Applications for Birth and Postpartum Doulas
I am thrilled to announce that Tulsa Family Doulas is officially accepting applications for Birth and Postpartum Doulas for contract work with the agency!
This agency is my heart and soul and has been nurtured, fed, loved, grown and is now again spreading its wings as I open the doors for more work for Birth and Postpartum Doulas.
Unique Model of Care
Tulsa Family Doulas has a unique model of care for our clients that provides highly beneficial continuity of care from the Doulas from the first second the client sees those two lines until the baby is 6 months old. This requires more from the Doula in regards to training, but is highly beneficial when all the needs of the mom are met by someone with a trusted and established relationship. We truly do our best to not continually refer, unless it is necessary. Tulsa Family Doulas and the doulas in the agency truly are vetted and trained to meet as many needs as possible for the birthing woman.
Do you have what it takes?
Applicants are encouraged and preferred to have had at least 2 years experience in the current field, but are not required to do so. Personality, presentation, evident personal growth, willingness to work on a team, and communication skills trump experience any day.
The work that I am offering is as a contractor with Tulsa Family Doulas. You are not an employee of, and will never have any legal rights as, an employee with Tulsa Family Doulas. That includes health insurance, paid vacations, workers comp, etc. If you want access to workers compensation, you are required to pay for that coverage yourself. You are required to pay for and maintain all required certifications, insurance and LLC status as listed below.
There is never any guaranteed work. There is work currently available, but you will never have a guaranteed base income or the stability of a 9-5 job. Many times, immediate response and care to a client is necessary. Being a Doula is a serious career move and requires an intense desire to love on moms, dads, siblings and babies, not just be present when babies are born.
Still with me? Let's do this.
- Training and certification as both a Birth and Postpartum Doula. If certification is not completed, must show active process. Approved training organizations are limited and will be evaluated upon application.
- Training and certification as Your Birth Experience Childbirth Educator. If not completed, then training and certification must be prioritized within first 3 months of contract.
- Training and certification as a Placenta Encapsulator. If not completed, then training and certification must be prioritized within first 3 months of contract.
- Completion of Hypnobabies HypnoDoula online course. If not completed, then training and certification must be prioritized within first 6 months of contract.
- Completion of Happiest Baby on the Block Instructor course. If not completed, then training and certification must be prioritized within first 6 months of contract.
- All certifications must be maintained and up-to-date for duration of contract period.
- Immediately available and reliable transportation.
- Willingness to go into client homes. All our services solely function as in-home support for our clients. We come to them.
- Willingness to be coached in communicating with pregnant and recently postpartum moms. There is great vulnerability for our clients during this time in their life. Doulas are held in very high esteem as a position of authority and influence. Your words, response to situations, and demeanor under duress or stress can make or break a client's experience.
- Active desire to work in, and be a positive influence on, hospital births. The majority of the clients that hire Tulsa Family Doulas choose to give birth in a hospital.
- Immediate availability of childcare, if applicable. The demands of this career are no joke, and you must have established childcare that is available at any time day or night prior to applying.
- Active participant in continuing education opportunities related to personal growth, supporting new families, technical skills and emotional well-being.
- Exceptional references from 2 professionals in the field of birthing or postpartum work, 2 references from previous clients or someone whom you served in the capacity of the doula/client relationship, and 2 personal references.
- Passing criminal, employment and childcare background checks.
- Personally maintain active status as a Limited Liability Company.
- Personally maintain liability insurance through CM&F.
- Work seamlessly with the other doula with whom you share call. Yep, we only work in teams at Tulsa Family Doulas.
Sound like a lot just to be a doula?
I know. It does. But, I also know what this career path demands. 8 years in and hundreds of clients later, each one of those requirements listed above is vital, and makes a positive influence on the clients you serve, and your success in making this work for you and your family.
There is no such thing as "just a doula". So, are you ready?
Send complete Curriculum Vitae or Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Open application ends on October 1, 2017 or if team is hired prior to that date.